Skip to main content

BSCI, CRJ, & WGST Faculty: Library Services and Research Help

for Behavioral Sciences, Criminology & Criminal Justice, and Women's & Gender Studies Faculty

How can I reserve videos and DVDs for classroom use?

Request DVDs in advance for classroom use from UM-Dearborn Library or Ann Arbor's Askwith Media Library:

Fill out this online DVD Reservation form to reserve UM-Dearborn library DVDs for specific class dates, for up to 3 weeks. You can book DVDs for your course up to a year in advance.

Askwith Media Library DVDs can be reserved on two day loan and delivered to UM-Dearborn library

  • Search for your DVD title in the Askwith Media Library catalog
  • Click on your DVD title in the list of results
  • Click Advance Booking at the bottom right 
  • Under the Location drop-down menu, select UM-Dearborn Mardigian Library

How do I Embed Streaming Videos in my Course Canvas site?

Do I need to get a public performance license when I show a video or DVD to my class?

According to the UM-Dearborn Campus Policy for Commercial Videos, faculty can show a commercial video without an educational or a public performance license when ALL of the following conditions are met:

  • The film or video is chosen by the instructor
  • It is shown in a face-to-face setting in a classroom
  • The content of the video is directly related, and of material assistance, to the teaching of the course
  • It is an integral part of the class session (it helps to include it in the course syllabus)
  • The showing is limited to students officially enrolled in the course
  • The film or video is lawfully obtained (i.e. not illegally downloaded)

Please consult the UM-Dearborn Campus Policy for Commercial Videos for more information about showing commercial videos in your classes.

University of Michigan - Dearborn Logo
  • 4901 Evergreen Road
    Dearborn, MI 48128, USA
  • Phone: 313-593-5000
  • Contact us